Monday, January 28, 2008

The Guards

It's out
It's real
Ripped from the darkest place
Where I store all my fears
And it’s playing on every channel
On my tv, on my radio

That dark place where I keep my fears
Is heavily guarded
Guarded by denial, innocence, and naivete
3 guards that let me believe, this can't happen here

People like you and me
Living in the streets
No food, water, medication, sanitation
A literal hell on earth

It’s too much to take in
I try to be there, to feel
What it must be like
To have no base, safe haven, no shelter

My first 38 years washed away with the tide
Everything I've built, earned, saved and been given
Gone…..Just the clothes on my back and the memories in my head
No greater test of faith and strength

The teary eyes of my starving child
My parent's last suffering breath
Nature's fury has taken everything I have
and now it's trying to take my soul

Would I make it? I’d like to think I would
Sitting here at my computer
With all the comforts of home
I’d like to think I would

Those guards, denial, innocence, naivete
Their good, good at what they do.

No comments: